Have you ever thought:
- When I… expand my business, nothing will stop me
- When I… hire the right employees, everything will fall into place
- When I… get through the pandemic, my life will be wonderful?
Who hasn’t thought at one time, some “accomplishment” was going to have a significant impact on their life? Attaining a well-deserved goal can provide excitement for a while. Yet, I haven’t found that it magically makes my life perfect forever. Have you?
I’ve read about people who thought winning the lottery would solve all their problems. For some it does. For many, within a couple of years, they are right back in the same horrible financial shape they had been. And, sometimes, their financial situation becomes even worse.
How can you shift the assumption that one goal will transform your life?
One way is to put less emphasis on the end goal and focus more on enjoying the journey. Here are five benefits of making this shift:
- Less worry: When you stay present, you won’t be worrying about what might occur in the future.
- Less pressure: When you enjoy the journey, you reduce the pressure to get to the destination.
- More celebrations: Staying present allows you to notice smaller successes along the way. Instead of checking off these successes, be sure to celebrate them.
- More opportunities: As you move forward, be aware of new opportunities. When you’re so focused on one goal, you may miss these.
- More progress: When you enjoy the journey, getting things done doesn’t feel like a struggle. Instead, this enjoyment can propel you to move forward faster with little or no extra work.
What can you do to enjoy the journey rather than focusing on attaining that one “life changing” goal?