“Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile,
but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.”
~ Thich Nhat Hanh
JOY…for such a small word, it’s very powerful.
According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, joy means:
- ‘the emotion evoked by well-being, success or good fortune or by the prospect of possession of what one desires
- the expression or exhibition of such emotion
- a state of happiness or felicity
- a source or cause of delight.’
I love the last definition – “a source or cause of delight!”
Say the word ‘joy’ to yourself a couple of times. What happens? What does it feel like to think about joy? I don’t know about you, but it makes me smile!
Even though it’s a powerful word, adding more joy to your life doesn’t have to be difficult or complicated. It can be quite simple!
Here are 10 easy ways to add joy into your life:
- Smile at someone as you pass them on the street.
- Pet a cat or dog.
- Bring someone you love flowers.
- Watch a sunset.
- Eat your favorite dessert (without any guilt).
- Spend a few minutes in nature.
- Tell someone they did a great job and mean it.
- Do something you used to love to do as a child.
- Tell a friend how much he/she means to you.
What else can you do today to add some joy into your life…or into the life of someone else? What would the reward be? Is it possible that if you add more joy to your life, it might be contagious?
Take a second to envision how things could change, if everyone added a little more joy into their life today. Wow! That would be something! Why not get started right now and do your part to add joy into the world?